Sunday, November 20, 2005

Tea and Coffee













Oh my god the weather's become so cold this week! I just biked to the station to get some bread, and my hands are numb from cold. I'm gonna make meself a cuppa tea.

When I was living in Edinburgh, I was amazed by how often my British friends drank tea. (Scottish a little less so, perhaps. Their winter and wind are harsher, and drum of whiskey makes you forget that for a wee while..)

Hmmmm the tea is nice. To be honest , I seldom had to make myself a cuppa there because my flatmates would just make one for me, always with one spoonful of sugar and a plenty of milk. And if I visited my friends at their flat, they would all be sitting there sipping tea in their big mugs, and they'd offer me one. (Caroline, Lucija, Lucy, Ronnie and Tammy's flat was exactly that--except they'd all be smoking fags at the same time!
(oh i miss them...)

Since I came back to Holland I hardly ever made tea.
Firstly, there was no flatmate, until 3 months ago, and my flatmate now drinks loads of tea, but has yet to offer me one (Hint hint Bart!).
Secondly, at work or study, the Dutch's drink of choice is usually coffee. My dad told me that the Dutch have at least 5 "Coffee breaks" a day at work.
At universities there are many coffee vending machines that disgorges some horrible stuff but still there's a que at every break between lectures. Of course sometimes I'm inclined to have one of those, cos it only costs 21 euro cent, but it really tastes foul! (The way the plastic cup first falls from the top to the holder, then after that couple of seconds of silence, "zzzzz....shoooooooooo........", I despise the indifference of this kind of machines)

Anyway, a couple of days ago I picked up 3 different kinds of teas by Celestial Seasonings at a local supermarket, and I knew that Croix used to drink this brand so I must have had some, but I got addicted to them straight away.

My favorite right now is 'Tension Tamer'--not that I'm super stressed but it just tastes gorgeous...the ingredients are; Eleuthero ginseng root, peppermint leaves, cinnamon, ginger root, chamomile flowers, lemon grass, licorice root, catnip leaves, tilia flowers, natural lemon flavor, hops, and Vitamins B6, and B12..
(Click here to know what all the herbs are)
I know I love beer too but isn't that the most healthy-sounding ingredients you can have for a drink?

Not only does it makes me warm and happy, it makes me to write! But I better go study for my exam. And no you won't know what I got for it, cos it's mechanics, something I'm bad at.

I will write again about tea and coffee soon. After some research you know?

Enjoy the rest of Sunday afternoon! (oh wait who am i talkin to?)

4 Comments:

Blogger Beth Danae said...

that tea sounds good :)

11/21/2005 3:18 pm  
Blogger arata toda said...

thanks--i hope that you get hold of Celestial Seasonings teas too and enjoy....

11/21/2005 7:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hola bro!
i've been trying to access your damn blog for a while, through the email you sent me and i couldnt. and then i discovered i can just google your ass up and here i am.
i just wanted to recommend you good tea from celestial seasoning. my favourite is ginseng lemon honey. duuuuuuude, its orgasmic yo. have it with a digestive cookie and you are sorted mate!
me is growing more and more fond of english earl grey with milk. although i never make it myself. once i ordered tea without milk at a cafe and the girl looked confused as hell and said that she doesnt understand how i can drink tea without milk. but what really pisses me off is when people drink green tea with sugar man. oh i didnt know i can go on for so long on tea, but ja i just wanted to say whats up and tell me when u r going to japan. okie doooooei!

11/29/2005 8:39 pm  
Blogger arata toda said...

yeah i can't understand people who put sugar in green tea either!!! although luckily i haven't met many people who does that kinda shite... am going to japan on the 25th Dec, am there till the 9th Jan. Lekker!

11/29/2005 11:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home